On Treating Clients With Respect, Care And Attentive Service
Nine Tips During A Divorce
At Scott Law Group, PLLC, we strive to provide you, our client, with the information you need to make smart decisions.
- KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: Talk with a lawyer experienced in family law. Ask him about the facts of your situation. Tell him what worries you and what you need the most.
- PROTECT YOUR MONEY AND YOUR CREDIT: Take appropriate measures to prevent your spouse from taking the money from joint accounts or making unnecessary credit charges. Set aside enough money to tide you over until property and support matters can be settled.
- CONSIDER COUNSELING FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR CHILDREN: A good counselor can help you sort out the complex emotions surrounding divorce. It will help you make wise decisions. You can learn how to keep your children from being unnecessarily upset.
- INVESTIGATE YOUR FINANCES: It is important to know what you have and what you owe. Make copies of all financial records and keep them at a safe place or give them to your lawyer. This can save you legal and accounting fees.
- AVOID ARGUMENTS WITH YOUR SPOUSE: If you cannot discuss matters calmly, wait until later or let your lawyer do the negotiating. No one ever wins a domestic argument and it could get violent.
- FIND AN EXPERIENCED LAWYER YOU CAN TRUST: Confidence and trust are especially important in divorce matters. Make certain your lawyer is experienced in family law.
- KEEP YOUR CHILDREN WITH YOU: If you have been your children’s primary caregiver, the children should remain with you. The court will award you child support to assist in caring for them.
- TAKE A PICTURE INVENTORY OF EVERYTHING IN YOUR HOME: Once the love is gone, it is not long until your possessions start to disappear as well. Take a picture inventory of everything in your home that has a value of $50 or more. Keep the pictures at a safe place, outside the home.
- OPEN A POST OFFICE BOX AT A LOCATION THAT IS CONVENIENT TO YOU OR NEAR YOUR PLACE OF WORK.
- DO NOT MOVE OUT OF THE MARITAL RESIDENCE.
- REMOVE YOUR PERSONAL ITEMS SUCH AS JEWELRY, CASH, PISTOLS, ETC.