Call Us Today To Set Up A Consultation. 800-566-2907 336-310-8569
Contact Menu

Winston-Salem Family Law Blog

Understanding the difference between the types of child custody

Child custody is an important issue that millions of people have to deal with each year. Marriages end. Relationships fizzle. Parents fail to get along with each other. All of these are reasons for child custody battles to occur in Winston-Salem. Many parents enter these battles without knowing exactly what child custody is or how it is handled by family law courts.

There are just two types of child custody: legal and physical. That's it. Legal custody allows a parent to make important decisions regarding the child's life; religious upbringing, education, health care, welfare and more. Physical custody defines with whom the child with live.

2 investigations net 4 drug arrests in Jonesville and King

Two different investigations, one in Jonesville and the other in King, culminated in the arrest of two men and two women at area motels on Tuesday, Feb. 6. At least two of them are suspected of having trafficked drugs from the hotels where they were taken into custody.

As far as the King investigation is concerned, officers arrived at the city's Bestway Inn shortly before 7 p.m., on Tuesday with the intention of arresting the man who'd be staying in Room 219. He had a warrant out for his arrest.

Kids should be able to share milestones with divorced parents

One of the most challenging aspects of divorce for parents is how to share celebrations in their children's lives -- from birthdays to graduations to weddings. Parents and other family members from both sides often find a way to put their animosity aside and share in these momentous occasions. However, the smaller celebrations should not be neglected.

Children need to be able to celebrate more everyday achievements with both parents. These can include a good report card, the memorization of a particularly difficult piano piece, making the tennis team, getting braces off and anything that makes them happy and proud of themselves.

Marijuana possession laws decriminalized in North Carolina

You may be one of many North Carolina residents who are hoping for nationwide, federal and state legalization of marijuana for both medical and recreational purposes. You may already be aware that penalties under conviction of a marijuana crime in this state used to be much more severe. Medical use of cannabis is not exempt in this state; however, possession of marijuana less than one-half ounce now carries a maximum fine of $200.

Police would have to find you with an ounce and a half before you'd ever face felony charges. If you support cannabis legalization, you might be happy about that, since some states still consider all possession or use of marijuana a criminal offense. The tricky part is that state and federal statutes often conflict. If you travel to another state, you are immediately subject to their laws concerning marijuana, which can make things difficult if you go from a state where it's legal to one where it's not.

What you need to know if your child is flying alone

When divorced parents live a significant distance apart, they're often faced with the decision of whether to let their children fly between homes during school vacations on their own.

Airlines have varying regulations, procedures and prices for kids flying without an adult, called "unaccompanied minors." If you believe your child is mature enough to fly alone, it's important to look at the unaccompanied minors programs of the airlines you're considering. Find out their minimum and maximum age requirements, what services they offer and what their fees are.

North Carolina transgender woman sues for harassment, retaliation

North Carolina has been the center of controversy over transgender people's rights to use public restrooms designated for the gender with which they identify. Now a North Carolina woman who was a plaintiff in that legal battle is suing Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

The transgender woman says that she was fired in 2015 from a Sam's Club store in the Charlotte area after she complained of harassment by colleagues. The 46-year-old woman had worked at the store for more than a decade. She began openly identifying as female in 2008.

When can you keep your kids from visiting their other parent?

When family law judges are required to determine child custody and visitation issues, they allow the noncustodial parent to have some visitation rights to the child unless it would put the child in danger. Family law recognizes that it's generally best for children to maintain regular contact with the noncustodial parent so they can continue and build the parent-child bond.

What happens if you're the custodial parent, and you're concerned about your child visiting your ex, even though these visits are court-ordered? Can you have your co-parent's visitation rights limited or revoked?

Over The Counter Drug Abuse

When a conversation turns to drug abuse, most people automatically consider the impact of illegal, controlled substances such as marijuana, cocaine or heroin. However, more and more cases center on strong over the counter (OTC) medications that are being abused or illegally altered.

Drugs sold over the counter are specifically designed to alleviate minor medical symptoms. Typically, they carry warnings regarding quantity and duration. However, people ignore these warnings and use OTC medications in a manner other than intended. Whether taking a large dose or taking certain numerous medications concurrently to create dangerous drug interactions, it is easy for individuals to abuse OTC drugs.

Dealing with common fears of children of divorce

Responsible divorcing parents are conscientious about working to alleviate their children's fears and anxieties. However, unless children communicate their fears to their parents, they may not realize what is concerning their kids.

Some common fears felt by children of divorce may seem wildly unreasonable to their parents, particularly if they have an amicable relationship. However, those fears may be based on what they've heard from friends about their parents' divorces or what they've seen on TV or in movies.

Can rapists have parental rights in North Carolina?

For a woman who gives birth to a child conceived out of rape, the idea of having to give child custody or visitation rights to her attacker might seem unthinkable. But in some parts of the U.S., that’s exactly what can happen.

The laws surrounding paternal rights for rapists vary widely across the United States. In seven states, there are no laws in place addressing this issue. On the other end of the spectrum, seven more states have passed laws that allow a rape victim to unequivocally block her alleged assailant from all parental rights. That leaves the rest of the country somewhere in the middle.

Contact Information

Scott Law Group, PLLC
422 West Mountain St.
Kernersville, NC 27284

Toll Free: 800-566-2907
Phone: 336-310-8569
Fax: 336-993-5030

  • Pay Your Invoice | LawPay
Map & Directions
Back To Top