Am I Eligible For An Expungement?
Many people don’t realize that criminal charges will appear on a person’s record even if there was no conviction. Employers, educators and others can view these records and may consider what they find before offering a job or other position or admission.
If you qualify for an expungement, the court will destroy or seal the criminal conviction from official records. There are a few exceptions, but most people in North Carolina can pursue an expungement only once in their lifetime. We have helped clients in the Winston-Salem area and statewide take advantage of this opportunity to clear their record.
Why Not Learn More About Clearing Your Criminal Record?
At Scott Law Group, we will sit down with you, review your criminal record and can determine whether you qualify for an expungement.
In most instances, there are five types of criminal charges that qualify for expunction:
- If the case was dismissed or you were found not guilty of a felony or misdemeanor charge
- If the offense (misdemeanor or low-level felony) occurred before the offender turned 18 years of age
- 15 years have passed since your conviction for a misdemeanor or low-level felony and you have not been convicted of another crime in the meantime
- If the offender received a pardon from the governor
- Certain drug and alcohol convictions that took place while you were under 21 years of age
It’s best to speak with a lawyer sooner than later. In some cases, private agencies can collect data (such as information regarding public criminal records) at any time. If they have a record of your conviction, they will continue to have it even after your record has been expunged at the state or federal level.
A significant benefit is once your expungement is finalized, you can feel confident when applying for jobs or when asked to submit to a background check knowing you won’t have to answer questions or explain the circumstances of your past arrest or conviction.
We Are Local Attorneys Committed To Our Communities
To learn more about expungements and record sealing, call our Kernersville law office at 336-310-8569 or toll-free at 800-566-2907. We are also available via email and will promptly reply to your inquiries. We serve Winston-Salem, the Piedmont Triad and all of North Carolina.