Firmly Focused

On Treating Clients With Respect, Care And Attentive Service

Child Support: What Will I Pay Or Receive?

The North Carolina Child Support Guidelines create a rebuttable presumption of the reasonable monthly amount of child support. The guidelines can be deviated from only when their application would be inequitable in some substantial way. You will need to provide the income verification, including two months’ worth of pay stubs or an employer’s statement. If you are self-employed, you must provide records of receipts and expenses. Both parties must also provide the most recent tax returns, both federal and state.

At Scott Law Group, we understand that going through divorce and child custody matters can be incredibly taxing. That is why we are here to provide the information, support and representation you need to protect yourself, your child and your future. Our family law attorneys practice in the Winston-Salem metro area and throughout North Carolina.

Attorneys Providing You With Clear Information Regarding Child Support

You should be aware that a noncustodial spouse’s child support obligation continues until the child reaches age 18 except if the child is otherwise emancipated, payment will terminate at that time. If the child is still in primary or secondary school when she/he reaches age 18, the court in its discretion will usually order support payments to continue until she/he graduates, otherwise ceases to attend school on a regular basis or reaches age 20, whichever comes first. A party by agreement may obligate himself or herself to make such payments beyond these time limits. There is no legal obligation for a supporting spouse to pay for college education expenses. This obligation arises only if the supporting spouse voluntarily agrees to assume it.

Both child custody and child support are issues that either party can raise any time before the child turns 18. Either spouse can petition the court to change its prior order of custody or support based on a showing by the moving party that circumstances have substantially changed.

Child support is not taxable as income to the receiving spouse and is not a deduction to the paying spouse. The federal tax exemption for each child normally goes to the custodial parent who has the child the majority of the time. This deduction, however, can go to either parent if both parents agree or to the noncustodial parent by court order.

Talk To Our Winston-Salem Lawyers Let’s Talk About Child Support

To speak with an experienced lawyer about your child support matter, call us at Scott Law Group, by dialing 336-310-8569 or toll-free at 800-566-2907. You can also send us an email by completing our contact form. From our office in Kernersville, we routinely work with clients throughout North Carolina.