Call Us Today To Set Up A Consultation. 800-566-2907 336-310-8569
Contact Menu

When can you keep your kids from visiting their other parent?

When family law judges are required to determine child custody and visitation issues, they allow the noncustodial parent to have some visitation rights to the child unless it would put the child in danger. Family law recognizes that it's generally best for children to maintain regular contact with the noncustodial parent so they can continue and build the parent-child bond.

What happens if you're the custodial parent, and you're concerned about your child visiting your ex, even though these visits are court-ordered? Can you have your co-parent's visitation rights limited or revoked?

If you believe that your co-parent is a danger to your children in some way, perhaps because he or she is violent, sexually abuses them or exposes them to drugs, don't send them. However, you need to talk to your attorney immediately about seeking a modification to the visitation order. Withholding visitation rights without court approval can create legal problems.

If you simply don't think your ex is a good parent, say perhaps he spends his time with the kids watching football with his buddies or she lets them stay up late on school nights, you don't have grounds to seek a change to the visitation order. If you can discuss your concerns with your ex and resolve the matter yourselves, that's best for everyone -- especially for your kids.

In some cases, if there is evidence that it's not safe for a parent to be alone with his or her children, a judge will order supervised visitation by a social worker or someone else approved by the court. In other cases, a judge may revoke visitation until a parent changes a situation that presents a danger to the child -- for example, moving out of a dangerous neighborhood or getting rid of a roommate who leave drugs out.

If you believe that your children aren't safe with their noncustodial parent, an experienced North Carolina attorney can help. He or she can advise you regarding whether you have cause to seek a modification of the custody and visitation agreement and, if so, help you do what's necessary to protect your children.

Source: The Spruce, "Can I Refuse to Send My Kids for Court-Ordered Visitation?," Jennifer Wolf, accessed Jan. 11, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Information

Scott Law Group, PLLC
210 N. Main Street
Suite 322
Kernersville, NC 27284

Toll Free: 800-566-2907
Phone: 336-310-8569
Fax: 336-993-5030

  • Pay Your Invoice | LawPay
Map & Directions
Back To Top